Chris Irvine was born on November 9, 1970 in Manhasset, New York. He was raised in Winnipeg, Canada. His father, Ted Irvine, was an NHL player for over a decade and played for the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings. In addition to being a wrestler, Chris is a true renaissance man. He is a professional singer, actor, and DJ. He currently resides in Tampa, Florida and Los Angeles, California with his wife, Jessica, and their three children, Ash, Cheyenne, and Sierra.
The Hart Family Dungeon:
Chris was trained at the Hart Brother's Pro Wrestling Camp and was in the same class as Lance Storm . He began his wrestling career in 1989 at the age of 19. During the first few years of his career, he wrestled in Canada, Mexico, Japan, and the Tennessee based Smoky Mountain Wrestling. His big break took place in 1996 when he appeared in ECW. Within a few months of wrestling for ECW, he was signed by WCW.
His WCW tenure saw him feud with the other cruiserweights in the company. He had some great feuds with men like Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio, and Juventud Guerrera. For the three years he was in WCW, he was always in contention for either the cruiserweight or television title. During his tenure, he was given a sidekick named Ralphus. Ralphus was a real life truck driver who was old, severely overweight, and was missing several teeth. Chris left WCW in 1999.
During the summer of 1999, a countdown to the millennium clock was appearing on RAW. When the clock hit zero, Chris made his debut and got into a verbal joust with the Rock. Chris claimed that the WWE was boring and here was in the WWE to save it. His first major WWE feud was against Chyna for the Intercontinental championship. He then went on to have an incredible three-way feud with Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit.
RAW is Jericho:
In 2000, it appeared that Chris beat Triple H to win the WWE championship but he was stripped of the belt and the match was stricken from the records due to Triple H and his wife, Stephanie, being in charge of the company. In 2001, WCW was purchased by the WWE and Chris became a major player in the ensuing Invasion storyline. During this angle, he won the WCW Championship from the Rock but lost it back to him a few weeks later.
The Undisputed Champion:
On December 9, 2001, Chris had perhaps the greatest night of any wrestling career. On that night, the WCW and WWE championships were unified in a four person tournament. In his first match of the night, Chris beat the Rock to regain the WCW title. A few minutes later, he beat “Stone Cold” Steve Austin to win the WWE championship. He lost the right to be called undisputed champion in April 2002, when he lost to Triple H during the main event of WrestleMania X-8.
The Wrestling Career Starts to Wind Down:
For the next few years, Chris was still a star in the WWE but was never able to regain the top spot in the company again. His most notable feud over this time span was against his former friend Christian over Trish Stratus. In the summer of 2005, Chris lost a loser is fired match to John Cena and has not returned to the ring since.
Chris has a music career as the lead singer of the band Fozzy. It originally was a gimmick band where Chris was known as Moongoose McQueen. He claimed they signed a really bad record deal in Japan and all the heavy metal bands of the 1980’s stole their music. The first album they made were all cover tunes of famous songs that Mongoose claimed were stolen from them. Their next two albums were real rock albums and the band dropped their gimmick.
In addition to his music career, Chris is also trying his hand in Hollywood. He has appeared in the movie Android Apocalypse which was broadcast on the Sci Fi channel. He has also appeared as a celebrity panelist for a variety of shows on VH1 and E. On XM radio, Chris hosted a weekly show called The Rock of Jericho. In the fall of 2006, Chris appeared on the FOX reality show Celebrity Duets. In the fall of 2007, Chris released his autobiography, A Lion's Tale, and made his return to the ring.
WWE, WCW, & ECW Title Victories:
World Heavyweight Championship: • 9/7/08 Unforgiven - (subbing for champion CM Punk) beat Batista, Kane, JBL, and Rey Mysterio in a Scramble Match
• 11/3/08 RAW - regained the title from Batista in a Steel Cage Match
• 2/22/10 Elimination Chamber - beat Champion The Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, John Morrison, and R-Truth in an Elimination Chamber Match
WWE Championship: • 12/9/01 Vengeance – beat Steve Austin
World Tag Team Championship:
• 5/21/01 w/Chris Benoit beat Triple H & Steve Austin
• 10/22/01 – w/The Rock beat the Dudley Boyz
• 10/14/02 – w/Christian beat Kane & the Hurricane
Unified Tag Team Championship:
• 6/28/09 The Bash - w/Edge beat Champions Carlito & Primo Colon and Ted DiBiase & Cody Rhodes
• 7/26/09 Night of Champions - chose Big Show to be his new partner
• 12/12/99 Armageddon – beat Chyna
• 1/3/00 – declared co-champion with Chyna
• 1/23/00 Royal Rumble – beat I-C co-champ Chyna and Bob Holly
• 5/4/00 – beat Chris Benoit
• 1/21/01 Royal Rumble – beat Chris Benoit in a ladder match
• 9/16/02 – beat Rob Van Dam
• 10/27/03 – beat Rob Van Dam
• 9/12/04 Unforgiven – beat Christian in a ladder match
• 3/10/08 - beat Jeff Hardy
• 6/7/09 Extreme Rules - beat Rey Mysterio in a No Holds Barred Match
• 5/28/01 – beat the Big Show
• 4/2/00 WrestleMania 2000 – beat Chris Benoit and champ Kurt Angle
WCW World Championship
• 10/21/01 No Mercy - beat the Rock
• 12/9/01 Vengeance – beat the Rock
• 6/28/97 – beat X-Pac
• 8/12/97 – beat Alex Wright
• 1/24/98 Souled Out – beat Rey Mysterio
• 6/14/98 Great American Bash – beat Dean Malenko by DQ to win the vacant title
• 7/13/98 – beat Rey Mysterio
• 9/10/98 – beat Stevie Rey who was subbing for champ Booker T
• 6/22/96 – beat Pitbull 2
Sources Include: Chris Jericho.com, A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho, Onlineworldofwrestling.com, WWE.com, NHL.com, PWI Almanac, & WWE.com.