On April 1, 1990, WrestleMania VI was held at the Skydome in Toronto, Canada. Billed as the Ultimate Challenge, the main event featured the very rare good guy vs. good guy match up in Hulk Hogan vs the Ultimate Warrior.
Toronto Wrestling History:
In 1986, the WWF held an event at the CNE Stadium that became the largest attended wrestling event (eventually eclipsed by WM III). Dubbed The Big Event, the main event was Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff. Several years later, the Skydome was built and it just made sense to hold this event there.
NBC's The Big Event:
While the two previous NBC specials directly influenced the card, the big story that night was a Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage rematch. Mike Tyson was originally supposed to referee that match but lost his title several days earlier to Buster Douglas. Buster refereed that match but Mike would return to the WWF eight years later.
The Ultimate Challenge:
The main event featured World Champion Hulk Hogan battle Intercontinental Champion the Ultimate Warrior. Both men were beloved by the fans. While a situation involving The Earthquake brought some tension between the men, both men were gentlemen and neither man attacked the other before the match. The only contact between the men was during the Royal Rumble when both men knocked each other out.
Both men put on one of the greatest matches of their careers. When it appeared Hulk was about to hit his winning leg drop, the Warrior moved and hit his splash for the win. After the match, both men shook hands and it appeared that Hulk had passed the torch to the Ultimate Warrior.
Demolition regained the tag team titles from Andre the Giant and Haku. After the match, Andre beat up Bobby Heenan and was once again adored by the fans. While he would make an appearance at WrestleMania VII, this was his final WrestleMania match. Andre died a few years later and became the first person inducted into WWE Hall of Fame.
The Intercontinental title was vacated and Mr. Perfect won a tournament to win the belt. Even though Hulk was no longer champ, he was still the biggest star in the company and would co-main event the next two PPV events with the Warrior.
- Edge was in the crowd for this event.
- Diamond Dallas Page drove the pink Cadillac used by the Honky Tonk Man.
- Steve Allen was a guest celebrity at the show. A few years later, he was one of the most outspoken critics against the WWF when they had their battle with the Parents Television Council.
- Rick Martel beat Koko B. Ware
- Tag Team Title: Demolition regained the title from Andre the Giant & Haku
- Earthquake pinned Hercules
- Brutus Beefcake beat Curt Hennig
- Roddy Piper fought Bad News Brown to a double-count out
- The Hart Foundation beat The Bolsheviks
- The Barbarian pinned Tito Santana
- Mixed Tag Team Match: Dusty Rhodes & Sapphire beat "The Macho King" Randy Savage & "Queen" Sherri
- The Orient Express beat The Rockers via count out
- Jim Duggan pinned Dino Bravo
- Ted DiBiase regained his "Million Dollar Belt" from Jake Roberts by count out
- Big Bossman pinned Akeem. Before the match he was attacked by Ted DiBiase who was hiding at ringside after his match.
- Rick Rude pinned Jimmy Snuka
- WWF Title & I-C Title: The Ultimate Warrior beat Hulk Hogan to win the WWF championship