The Bottom Line
- Dustin Rhodes is very open about his past drug abuse.
- Discusses the difficulty in growing up as the son of a wrestler.
- This book chronicles more about his outside of the ring life than his time inside of the ring.
- Dustin Rhodes is most famous for portraying the character of Goldust.
- Dustin Rhodes is the son of Dusty Rhodes, brother of Cody Rhodes, and ex-husband of Terri/Marlena/Alexandra York
- The paperback book is 240 pages long.
- The book has a retail price of $16.
Guide Review - Cross Rhodes: Goldust, Out of the Darkness by Dustin Rhodes
In an effort to protect his family, Dustin sometimes takes the high road and doesn't give full accounts of every story. As an example, he details a fight he had with his father where he tells him some very bad things he has heard about his future wife. However, he never tells us what his father said about her. While he must be commended for taking the high road, as the reader it makes you feel that you are getting only part of the story. It kind of reminds me of when you are out in public and hear someone talking on their cell phone. You get an idea of what they are talking about but easily get annoyed because you can't put into context what you are hearing.
Another issue I have with the book is the length of it. It is very short, features a large type font, and is loaded with blank pages and chapter title pages. The book also contains many pages of black and white photos which also makes the book seem bigger than it is.
Overall Recommendation: If you are a wrestling fan looking for many behind-the-scenes stories detailing his many feuds, this isn't the book for you. This book is more about his search to gain acceptance by his father and his struggles with alcohol and drugs rather than a career retrospective. Due to lack of details about his career and the short length of the book, I can't recommend this book as a being a necessary part of your wrestling library.