The DVD lives up to the title as it features profiles followed by a match of Hulk Hogan, Batista, Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Edge, Bret Hart, The Rock, John Cena, Rey Mysterio, Triple H, and Steve Austin. The one name notable by his absence is Randy Savage. For some reason, it appears that the WWE is intent on not including him on their recent DVD releases.
While the DVD lives up to the title of featuring the greatest superstars in WrestleMania history, unfortunately it does not feature their best matches. I have compiled a list of the 10 greatest WrestleMania matches and not a single one of them appears on this DVD. In addition, 5 of the 11 matches featured are from either WrestleMania 21 or 22.
Overall Recommendation: Slight thumbs up. Just like most of the matches on the DVD, the DVD is very good but not great. While you won't be disappointed if you buy this DVD, this isn't one that needs to be in your wrestling DVD library.
What's on the DVD?
Matches on Disc One
- WM 7: Hulk Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter (Hulk Hogan: Ultimate Anthology) - This is not the best Hogan WrestleMania match, however it is the only decent one from the Hulkamania era that doesn't feature Jesse Ventura on commentary. This is the earliest match on the DVD so there is no Jesse Ventura edit (or commentary) on this DVD.
- WM 21: Batista vs. Triple H - Three matches from this event are on this DVD yet the best match on the show (Angle vs. Michaels) isn't on this DVD.
- WM 19: Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho - This is arguably Jericho's best WrestleMania match.
- WM 21: Undertaker vs. Randy Orton - The Undertaker may be 15-0 at this event but many of his matches have been stinkers. Thankfully this isn't one of those.
- WM 22: Edge vs. Mick Foley (Mick Foley: Greatest Hits & Misses Hardcore Edition) - It took Mick Foley several retirements and returns to finally have his classic WrestleMania contest
WM 10: Bret Hart vs. Yokozuna - This isn't even Bret's best match that night.
WM 18: The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan (Hulk Hogan: Ultimate Anthology) - This is one of those matches every fan has to see once and it isn't because of the action inside of the ring. The crowd makes this match a classic. By the way, Hogan's theme song is some generic nWo knock-off.
WM 21: John Cena vs. JBL - Have you noticed that for the past four WrestleMania events that the title on SmackDown has been fought lower on the card, been less epic, and far shorter than the RAW title match?
WM 22: Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle vs. Randy Orton (Rey Mysterio: Biggest Little Man) - Ditto
WM 18: Triple H vs. Chris Jericho - Even though this was billed as the main event, the real main event for this show was the battle between the Rock and Hogan earlier in the evening. Everything on the show that followed that match just came across as anticlimactic.
WM 15: Steve Austin vs. The Rock - This is the first of three WrestleMania battles between these legends.