Wrestling DVD & Blu-ray Sets
The following list contains the DVD and Blu-ray sets that came out in 2012 that wrestling fans will be happy to see under the Christmas tree. In addition to the ones I listed below, the WWE made several other great sets this year. To help you in your shopping, I have created a photo gallery of every DVD the WWE released in 2012. In addition to just photos, the gallery contains links to my reviews of most of the DVDs which also include the ability to price comparison shop for the item.
- WrestleMania XXVIII – WrestleMania is to wrestling fans what the Super Bowl is to football fans. This year's event was one of the best in the history of the show. In addition to the event, both the DVD and Blu-ray version of this set feature the Hall of Fame induction ceremony which took place the night before.
- Undertaker: The Streak – One of this highlights of WrestleMania for the past two decades has been watching the Undertaker in action. He is 20-0 at that event and some of his matches at this show are all-time classics. This 4-disc DVD set is also available on Blu-ray and features all 20 complete matches.
- The Epic Journey of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson - This year's WrestleMania was highlighted by the return of The Rock. Older fans will enjoy this trip down memory lane while younger fans will learn about the wrestling history of someone they are more familiar with as a huge movie star.
- You Think You Know Me: Story of Edge – Edge was one of the biggest stars of the new century until a neck injury forced him to retire last year as the World Heavyweight Champion.
- CM Punk: Best in the World – As of Black Friday 2012, CM Punk's current reign as WWE Champion has lasted over one year. While I have not yet written my review of this DVD, I have watched it and can say that this DVD set features the best documentary on an individual I have seen WWE Home Video produce. However, the one caveat with buying this as a Christmas gift is that CM Punk is currently the most hated wrestler in the business.
- WWE Superstar Collection – WWE Home Video created a series of 8 value-priced DVDs this year which can be bought for around $10. While they are not nearly as good as the DVDs I have listed above, they are cheaper and make a good gift for younger people to give as well as Secret Santas with a low monetary threshold. The ones I think would be the fan in your life would be happiest to see are the ones for John Cena and Randy Orton. Although I don't think they are the best two discs in the series, these are the two most popular stars featured in it.
Please note that many wrestling books contain words and themes that parents might want to keep away from their children. However, some of them contain stories of triumph, determination, and charitable activities that you may want to instill in your children. I will gladly answer any email about age appropriateness.
- WWE Encyclopedia (second edition) - This coffee table book is over 400 pages long and will be enjoyed by wrestling fans both young and old.
- Undisputed by Chris Jericho – The best book that came out last year was released in a cheaper paperback version this year. In addition to being a famous wrestler, Chris has found success outside of the ring as the lead singer of Fozzy as well as being a contestant on Dancing with the Stars.
- Hacksaw: The Jim Duggan Story - Hacksaw Jim Duggan was one of the biggest stars in the WWE in the late '80s. Older fans will enjoy this stroll down memory lane.
This year's THQ game, WWE '13, focuses on the Attitude era of the company. The game has received great critical acclaim and has been nominated for Best Individual Sports Game at the upcoming Video Game Awards.
Clothes and Accessories
Wrestling clothing can be found at most department stores and at specialty stores like Spencer’s and Hot Topic. As far as which wrestlers are the most popular, I would go with the following rule of thumb. Pre-teens love John Cena, Rey Mysterio, and Sin Cara. Once kids reach a certain age, they tend to favor CM Punk, Randy Orton, Triple H and the Undertaker. A great selection of exclusive clothing items can be found on WWE Shop.com. Around holiday time, the company usually bundles several items related to a specific wrestler together at a great savings for you.
Other Gift Ideas
- Tickets to a live event – My wresting calendar tells you when the WWE and TNA will be headed to your town. Here is a step-by-step guide to make sure you get the best ticket you can.
- WWE 24/7 Classics on Demand – This cable channel offers classic wrestling action on-demand. It is not available in all locations.
- Hulu Plus - This Internet service features a WWE channel which has on demand episodes of all current televised WWE programming as well as the shows Superstars and NXT which are not televised in the United States.
- WWE Magazine – A one-year subscription will keep the wrestling fan in your life checking their mail box all year long.
- WWE Kids Magazine – Unlike the prior magazine, this one is geared towards young children.
- Championship Belts – Replica belts are very popular. They come in a variety of quality based upon if you want to spend a few bucks or hundreds.
- Toys – WWE and TNA action figures can be found anywhere that sells toys.