Wrestling DVD Sets
The following list contains the DVD sets that came out in 2007 that every wrestling fan will be happy to see under the Christmas tree. Each link contains my review of that disc as well as a link that will allow you to find the lowest price for each item.
- Royal Rumble Anthology – This 20 disc anthology contains 20 years worth of Royal Rumble matches. It is expensive but the wrestling fan in your life will love it. By the time Christmas rolls around, the first 10 years will be available in two five-disc sets.
- The Ladder Match - This three-disc DVD set is filled with nothing but ladder matches.
- The Shawn Michaels Story: Heartbreak & Triumph – Shawn has been one of the most popular wrestlers for over two decades.
- Rey Mysterio: The Biggest Little Man – This three-disc set features nine hours of Rey Mysterio action. Rey is one of the most popular stars today and is particularly loved by very young fans due to his small stature and colorful masks.
- Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen – Adult fans that grew up watching wrestling in the ‘80s will love this DVD.
- WrestleMania 23 – The DVD of the biggest event of the year features Donald Trump putting his hair on the line.
- Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling – This DVD is targeted to the same demographic as the Ric Flair one.
Please note that all of these books contain words and themes that parents might want to keep away from their children. However, some of them contain stories of triumph, determination, and charitable activities that you may want to instill in your children. I will gladly answer any email about age appropriateness. Just like with the DVD section, all links will lead to my review of the product.
- Hitman by Bret Hart – This is the greatest wrestling book ever. Unfortunately, it is not available in America. However, you can order it from Amazon.ca. This would be a total surprise for any wrestling fan and will be well worth the effort to type.ca instead of .com.
- A Lion’s Tale by Chris Jericho – This book follows Jericho’s tale of reaching his childhood goal, becoming a WWE Superstar. Please note that it ends with him reaching the goal and contains no stories of his time in the WWE.
- Hardcore Diaries by Mick Foley – This is Mick’s third autobiography and details the events and backstage politics he encountered in his 2006 return to the ring.
- Batista Unleashed by Batista – Because of his popularity with children, the book is written down to their grade level. However, the content in it might be objectionable to parents.
The 2008 edition of the popular video game series SmackDown vs. RAW came out in November. This year’s edition features the addition of the ECW Brand and is available for the first time on several video game systems. The links for each system lead to a price comparison engine for the particular version of the game for that system. Please note that the game is slightly different between different systems.
Wrestling clothing can be found at most department stores and at specialty stores like Spencer’s, Steve & Barry’s, Hot Topic, and WWE.com. As far as which wrestlers are the most popular, I would go with the following rule of thumb. Pre-teens love John Cena and Rey Mysterio. Once kids reach a certain age, they tend to favor Triple H, Batista, and the Undertaker.
Other Gift Ideas