- The show began with Adam Jones, the guitar player from Tool, performing The Star Spangled Banner.
The Miz, R-Truth, & Alberto Del Rio vs. Kofi Kingston, John Morrison, & Rey Mysterio - The beginning of the end started when Rey had R-Truth and the Miz set up for a double-619. Alberto Del Rio distracted Rey but was then hit by John Morrison for his interference. When Rey went for the move again, the Miz got out of the way but was quickly greeted by a high-flying move by Kofi Kingston. Even though he missed the Miz, Rey still hit R-Truth with a 619 and followed that up with a splash off the top rope to get the win for his team. Winners:Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, & Kofi Kingston
- In the back, CM Punk was forced to apologize to John Laurinaitis. Stephanie McMahon then came out to wish CM Punk good luck. She offered him her hand but he refused to shake it because he "knows where that hand has been".
Sheamus vs. Mark Henry - When Sheamus missed a Brogue Kick, that allowed Mark Henry the opportunity to try for the World's Strongest Slam. Sheamus reversed the move and then hit Mark Henry with a Brogue Kick that knocked Mark Henry out of the ring. When Sheamus followed him out of the ring, Mark Henry picked him up and slammed him through the ringside barrier. Sheamus was unable to make it back into the ring by the time the referee counted to 10. Winner: Mark Henry by Count Out
- Christian was interviewed and mentioned that he had an insurance policy for his match later tonight.
- Cee Lo Green performed Bright Lights, Bigger City, which was the theme song for this event. He was then joined by the Bella Twins, Rosa Mendes, and Alicia Fox when he sang Forget You.
Divas Championship: Champion Kelly Kelly vs. Beth Phoenix - Eve was in the corner for Kelly Kelly while Natalya was in the corner of Beth Phoenix. Neither of them had an impact on the outcome of the match. When Beth Phoenix went for the Glam Slam, Kelly reversed the move and rolled up Beth Phoenix for the win. Winner: Kelly Kelly
- An angry Stephanie McMahon was seen walking out of John Cena's locker room.
- R-Truth was talking to Jimmy Hart about the conspiracy against him. Jimmy Hart offered to become his manager. R-Truth then flipped out because he thought that Jimmy Hart was "Little Jimmy". Ron Artest and his daughter, who were in the back, looked at him like he was crazy.
Daniel Bryan vs. Wade Barrett - When Wade went for the Wasteland, Daniel Bryan reversed the move and applied the LeBell Lock. Wade escaped by grabbing the ropes. A few moments later, Daniel Bryan got crotched on on the top rope. Wade delivered a huge clothesline and followed that with the Wasteland to get the win. Winner: Wade Barrett
No Holds Barred Match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Champion Christian vs. Randy Orton - Prior to the start of the bout, Christian announced that Edge was going to be in his corner during this bout. Edge came to the ring and said he was happy to pass the torch to Christian. However, he doesn't like what Christian has become and he left the ringside area. Late in the match, after delivering blows to the skull of Orton with the ring steps and the television monitor, Christian tried for an RKO on the Spanish announcing table. Orton reversed the move and drove Christian through the table with an RKO of his own. When both men got back into the ring, Christian hit the Kill Switch but could only get a 2-count. Christian then spit in the face of Orton and missed a con-chair-to. Orton flipped out and used the chair to knock Christian through a table that was set up outside of the ring. Orton brought a slew of weapons in the ring and wound up slamming Christian through another table which was leaning up against the ropes. Moments later, Orton gave Christian the middle rope DDT onto a garbage pail. Christian got a surge of energy and tried a move off the ropes but was caught by Randy Orton who gave him an RKO onto the ring steps which were in the ring. Orton then pinned Christian to regain the title. Winner and New Champion: Randy Orton- Highlights from SummerSlam week in Los Angeles were shown.
- Stephanie McMahon was shown talking to her husband, Triple H, outside his locker room. He is the referee of the upcoming match.
WWE Championship Unification Match With Triple H as Special Guest Referee: WWE Champion John Cena vs. WWE Champion CM Punk - At one point in the match, both men were knocked out while outside of the ring. When Triple H counted to 9, he went outside the ring and threw both men back into the ring. Cena came close to winning this match on a few occasions as Punk kicked out following an Attitude Adjustment and also escaped the STF. After missing a leg drop, Punk hit the Go to Sleep but was only able to get a 2-count. Cena then kicked out of a "Macho Man" inspired flying elbow drop. Moments later, Punk hit another GTS and Triple H counted to 3. However, Cena's foot was on the rope. When Punk was celebrating, Kevin Nash came out and attacked CM Punk. After giving him a power bomb, he escaped through the crowd. Winner and Undisputed WWE Champion: CM Punk
WWE Championship Match: Champion CM Punk vs. Alberto Del Rio - Alberto Del Rio came to the ring with his Money in the Bank title shot. When the bell rang, he kicked Punk in the back of the head and then pinned him to win the title. Winner and New WWE Champion: Alberto Del Rio
What does this event mean for the future?
SmackDown is easy to figure out. With his win over Christian, I think that Randy Orton will move onto a feud with Mark Henry for the World Heavyweight Championship.
The issues on the RAW side of things are much more complex. The only thing we know for certain is that Rey Mysterio will be getting a match for the WWE Championship against Alberto Del Rio on tomorrow night's edition of Monday Night RAW. However, everything else is a mess. Did Triple H purposely cost Cena the title? Why did Kevin Nash attack CM Punk? I guess we'll be finding out the answers to these questions over the course of the next few weeks. My guess is that we will be seeing a triple-threat match for the title next month at Night of Champions between Del Rio, Punk, and Cena.
This was a tale of two shows. The first-half felt like a mediocre episode of RAW with a performance by a special guest host. However, the second-half of the show felt like a big-time PPV event. Considering that this show was built around two matches and only four were announced more than 3 days before the event, this shouldn't have come as much of a shock.
The match between Orton and Christian was a vicious affair and possibly the best of their incredible series of matches. This was a fitting way to end this feud. Tossing in Edge was a nice treat.
The main event had a lot to live up to considering how great the match between Punk and Cena was last month. While not an instant classic like last month's bout, this one was very entertaining and somehow left us with more questions than last month's show did. If you paid for this event, I think you got your money's worth.
- Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, & Kofi Kingston beat Alberto Del Rio, R-Truth, & The Miz
- Mark Henry beat Sheamus by Count Out
- Divas Championship: Champion Kelly Kelly beat Beth Phoenix
- Wade Barrett beat Daniel Bryan
- No Holds Barred Match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Randy Orton beat Christian to win the title
- WWE Championship Unification Match With Triple H as the Special Guest Referee: WWE Champion CM Punk beat WWE Champion John Cena
- WWE Championship: Alberto Del Rio beat CM Punk to win the title