Wrestling DVD Sets
The following list contains the DVD sets that came out in 2010 that wrestling fans will be happy to see under the Christmas tree. In addition to the ones I listed below, the WWE made several other great DVDs this year. To help you in your shopping, I have created a photo gallery of every DVD the WWE released in 2010. In addition to just photos, the gallery contains links to my reviews of most of the DVDs which also include the ability to price comparison shop for the item.
- The John Cena Experience – John Cena is the most popular wrestler in the world. This 3-disc DVD set takes a behind-the-scenes look at John's projects outside of the ring and also includes 2 DVDs full of action.
- WrestleMania XXVI – WrestleMania is the Super Bowl of professional wrestling. This year's event featured one of the greatest matches of all time when Shawn Michaels put his career on the line to end the 17-0 undefeated streak of the Undertaker at WrestleMania. This DVD set comes in three versions and my review explains the differences between all three.
- Shawn Michaels: My Journey – Shawn has been one of the top stars in the business for the past 25 years. This DVD came out right before he lost his retirement match to the Undertaker. Because of this, I feel this set would go nicely with the WrestleMania XXVI DVD.
- Breaking the Code: Behind the Walls of Chris Jericho - This was my favorite DVD of the year. This 3-disc DVD set is a must-have for any long-time wrestling fan.
- Satan's Prison: The Anthology of the Elimination Chamber – The Elimination Chamber is the most brutal match of the year and this DVD set features every one of them that have taken place.
- The Undertaker's Deadliest Matches – I wasn't a fan of this DVD set, however it was one of the most popular ones of the year due to the enormous popularity of the Dead Man.
- Hart & Soul: The Hart Family Anthology – The Hart Family is one of the most important families in wrestling history. While I wasn't a huge fan of this DVD set, it is still something that long-time wrestling fans will be interested in watching.
Please note that all of these books contain words and themes that parents might want to keep away from their children. However, some of them contain stories of triumph, determination, and charitable activities that you may want to instill in your children. I will gladly answer any email about age appropriateness. Just like with the DVD section, all links will lead to my review of the product.
- WWE Encyclopedia – This coffee-table style book came out last year and was my top book selection for 2009. However, the price of it may have scared some people away. Hopefully due to its size and the fact it has been out for over a year, hopefully your local retailer will have this one on sale as they try to save some space in their store.
- The WWE Championship: A Look Back at the Rich History of the WWE Championship by Kevin Sullivan - This was the best book I reviewed this year. It takes a look back at some of the most important events in WWE history over the past 50 years.
- My Life Outside the Ring by Hulk Hogan – This book details all the turmoil that Hulk has been going through between his divorce from Linda an his son's accident and arrest. The review is for the hard-cover edition which came out last year. However, a cheaper priced soft-cover edition was released a few weeks ago.
- Countdown to Lockdown by Mick Foley – This is Mick's fourth autobiography and was the biggest autobiography released this year.
- Rey Mysterio: Behind the Mask by Jeremy Roberts – Rey is one of the most popular stars in the WWE and is loved by younger fans. The review is for the hard-cover edition which came out last year. However, a cheaper priced soft-cover edition was released a few weeks ago.
- A Lion's Tale by Chris Jericho – This book came out several years ago and is one of the best ever written. If you decide to buy your loved one the previously mentioned Chris Jericho DVD, this would be the perfect compliment to that gift. It will also get you loved one psyched up for the sequel to the book which will be released in February.
The 2011 edition of the popular video game series SmackDown vs. RAW came out in October. The links for each system lead to a price comparison engine for the particular version of the game for that system. Please note that the game is slightly different between different systems.
Clothes and Accessories
Wrestling clothing can be found at most department stores and at specialty stores like Spencer’s and Hot Topic. As far as which wrestlers are the most popular, I would go with the following rule of thumb. Pre-teens love John Cena and Rey Mysterio. Once kids reach a certain age, they tend to favor Triple H and the Undertaker. A great selection of exclusive clothing items can be found on WWE Shop.com.
Other Gift Ideas
- Tickets to a live event – My wresting calendar tells you when the WWE is headed to your town. Here is a step-by-step guide to make sure you get the best ticket you can.
- WWE 24/7 Classics on Demand – This cable channel offers classic wrestling action on-demand. It is not available in all locations.
- WWE Magazine – A one-year subscription will keep the wrestling fan in your life checking their mail box all year long. It is best compared to Maxim for wrestling fans.
- WWE Kids Magazine – Unlike the prior magazine, this one is geared towards young children.
- Championship Belts – Replica belts are very popular. They come in a variety of quality based upon if you want to spend a few bucks or hundreds.
- Toys – WWE and TNA action figures can be found anywhere that sells toys.