Wrestling DVD Sets
The following list contains the DVD sets that came out in 2009 that wrestling fans will be happy to see under the Christmas tree. In addition to the ones I listed below, the WWE made several other great DVDs this year. To help you in your shopping, I have created a photo gallery of every DVD the WWE released in 2009. In addition to just photos, the gallery contains links to my reviews of most of the DVDs which also include the ability to price comparison shop for the item.
- The Wrestler – This movie made headlines earlier this year as Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei both were up for an Academy Award for their performances in this movie. The movie is rated R.
- Starrcade the Essential Collection – This 3-disc set takes a look back at the history of the WCW event Starrcade. Older fans that used to watch wrestling on WTBS will enjoy this DVD.
- The Rise and Fall of WCW – This would go great with the Starrcade DVD.
- Saturday Night's Main Event - This 3-disc DVD set takes a look back at the WWE TV Show that used to run in the time slot occupied by Saturday Night Live during the '80s. Older fans that had to stay awake late to watch this show as well as younger fans that want to learn about wrestling from that era will enjoy this DVD.
- Macho Madness: The Ultimate Randy Savage Collection – Fans of the Macho Man will enjoy this 3-disc DVD. This would be a great compliment to go along with the Saturday Night's Main Event DVD
- Greatest Stars of the '90s – This DVD set takes a look back at the biggest stars from the era which saw the Rock and Steve Austin become household names.
- Best of SmackDown – If the wrestling fan in your life stays home on Friday nights in order to watch this show, they will love this DVD.
- 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania – WrestleMania is the Super Bowl of professional wrestling. This is also the only WWE DVD listed available on Blu Ray.
- In addition, DVD sets dedicated to Batista, Hulk Hogan, Jeff Hardy, and the World Heavyweight Championship will be released in the next few weeks. Here is a list of the upcoming release schedule which also contains links to price shop.
Please note that all of these books contain words and themes that parents might want to keep away from their children. However, some of them contain stories of triumph, determination, and charitable activities that you may want to instill in your children. I will gladly answer any email about age appropriateness. Just like with the DVD section, all links will lead to my review of the product.
- WWE Encyclopedia – As far as books go, this is the one that all wrestling fans will covet this holiday season. It is a coffee-table style book that as the name implies is an encyclopedia of all things WWE.
- Hitman by Bret Hart – For the third year in a row, this book makes my list. This is the greatest wrestling book I've ever read. In November, the book will finally be available in paperback.
- My Life Outside the Ring by Hulk Hogan – I haven't read this book yet but fans that are into gossip will probably enjoy this one as it details all the turmoil that Hulk has been going through between his divorce from Linda an his son's accident and arrest.
- The Unauthorized History of DX – Degeneration-X is one of the most popular stables in WWE history and their antics are enjoyed by fans young and old alike. The book is written in such a style that both young and old fans will enjoy it.
- Rey Mysterio: Behind the Mask by Jeremy Roberts – Rey is one of the most popular stars in the WWE and is loved by younger fans.
- My Life in Wrestling by Gary Hart – I love this book and rank it as my second favorite. Unfortunately, it isn't available in stores. Fans that followed the Von Erich family or wrestling from Texas in the '80s will be fascinated by the inside stories told in this book.
The 2010 edition of the popular video game series SmackDown vs. RAW comes out in October. The links for each system lead to a price comparison engine for the particular version of the game for that system. Please note that the game is slightly different between different systems.
Clothes and Accessories
Wrestling clothing can be found at most department stores and at specialty stores like Spencer’s and Hot Topic. As far as which wrestlers are the most popular, I would go with the following rule of thumb. Pre-teens love John Cena, Jeff Hardy, and Rey Mysterio. Once kids reach a certain age, they tend to favor Triple H, D-Generation X, Batista, and the Undertaker. Please note that Jeff Hardy is still a top-seller for the company despite no longer being in the WWE. Parents may also want to be wary of purchasing his merchandise because of his legal issues due to drugs being found in his house.
Other Gift Ideas
- Tickets to a live event – My wresting calendar tells you when the WWE is headed to your town. Here is a step-by-step guide to make sure you get the best ticket you can.
- WWE 24/7 Classics on Demand – This cable channel offers classic wrestling action on-demand. It is not available in all locations.
- WWE Magazine – A one-year subscription will keep the wrestling fan in your life checking their mail box all year long. It is best compared to Maxim for wrestling fans.
- WWE Kids Magazine – Unlike the prior magazine, this one is geared towards young children.
- Championship Belts – Replica belts are very popular. They come in a variety of quality based upon if you want to spend a few bucks or hundreds.
- Toys – WWE and TNA action figures can be found anywhere that sells toys.