Wrestling DVD Sets
The following list contains the DVD sets that came out in 2008 that wrestling fans will be happy to see under the Christmas tree. In addition to the ones I listed below, the WWE made several other great DVDs this year. To help you in your shopping, I have created a photo gallery of every DVD the WWE released in 2008.
- SummerSlam Anthology – This 20 disc anthology contains the first 20 years worth of SummerSlam events ('88-'07). It is expensive but the wrestling fan in your life will love it.
- Best of RAW 15th Anniversary - This 3-disc DVD set came out the week between Christmas and New Year's last year so it is not in the previously mentioned photo gallery.
- The Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin – Steve was one of the biggest cultural icons of the '90s.
- The Rock: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment – The Rock has transcended wrestling and is now an A-List celebrity.
- Ric Flair: The Definitive Collection – Ric was been a main event wrestler for over 2 decades.
- History of the Intercontinental Championship – This DVD features some of the greatest matches over the past 30 years.
- WrestleMania XXIV – WrestleMania is the Super Bowl of professional wrestling.
Please note that all of these books contain words and themes that parents might want to keep away from their children. However, some of them contain stories of triumph, determination, and charitable activities that you may want to instill in your children. I will gladly answer any email about age appropriateness. Just like with the DVD section, all links will lead to my review of the product.
- Hitman by Bret Hart – This is the greatest wrestling book I've ever read. If you didn't buy it last year as I had suggested, it will be easier to buy this year as it was finally released in the US.
- A Lion’s Tale by Chris Jericho – This is my second favorite wrestling book. Unlike Bret's book, this book is available in paperback.
- Gorgeous George by John Capouya – This book will be loved by anyone that got to see Gorgeous George in action or want to learn more about that era.
The 2009 edition of the popular video game series SmackDown vs. RAW came out in November. The links for each system lead to a price comparison engine for the particular version of the game for that system. Please note that the game is slightly different between different systems.
Clothes and Accessories
Wrestling clothing can be found at most department stores and at specialty stores like Spencer’s, Steve & Barry’s, and Hot Topic. As far as which wrestlers are the most popular, I would go with the following rule of thumb. Pre-teens love John Cena and Rey Mysterio. Once kids reach a certain age, they tend to favor Triple H, D-Generation X, Batista, and the Undertaker.
Other Gift Ideas