On Sunday night, WWE presents Elimination Chamber. This is the final pay-per-view event before WrestleMania XXIX and this show will determine the participants in the world championship matches at that show. Because of the implications this show will have on WrestleMania XXIX, in addition to giving you my predictions for this show, I'm also going to predict what matches will be taking place in a few weeks at MetLife Stadium. As is always the case, I would love to hear what you think will be happening but I just ask that you help me keep the site non-spoiler and refrain from commenting about anything that will be happening on SmackDown until that show airs on Friday night.
Pre-show Match: Brodus Clay & Tensai vs. Team Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow) - Team Rhodes Scholars amicably broke up a few weeks ago but find themselves reunited again to take on WWE's latest comedy tag team. Three weeks ago, I thought that Rhodes Scholars would win the tag team titles from Kane and Daniel Bryan. I think I was a little to early with that prediction. I'm picking Team Rhodes Scholars to win this match because I think the winner will get a crack at the tag team titles. Then on a future episode of RAW, I see them winning the belts when Team Hell No finally implodes. Predicted Winners: Team Rhodes Scholars
Divas Championship: Champion Kaitlyn vs. Tamina Snuka - The Divas division is in total shambles right now and is the worst I have seen it since it was resurrected during the Attitude Era. The best thing going for it is that we will probably get to see some Trish Stratus highlights over the course of the next few weeks to build up anticipation for her induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. Predicted Winner: Kaitlyn
United States Championship: Champion Antonio Cesaro vs. The Miz - Just as I jumped the gun with my Royal Rumble predictions for Team Rhodes Scholars, I think I did the same for The Miz also. Since I still feel the same about the outcome of this match, I'm just going to copy what I wrote three weeks ago.
"I think that there are two factors working against the champion in this match. One is that a wrestler with a similar gimmick (evil foreign guy from Europe) is holding the Intercontinental Championship. The other is that between now and WrestleMania XXIX, WWE Studios will be releasing The Marine 3 which The Miz will be starring in. As the company will be promoting both of these ventures over the next few weeks, it just makes more sense for The Miz to be doing the media rounds while in physical possession of a championship belt which features the stars and stripes on it."Predicted Winner: The Miz
World Heavyweight Championship: Champion Alberto Del Rio vs. Big Show - Since WWE seems gun ho on giving up rematches from three weeks ago, I'm just going to give a repeat of the same thing I wrote three weeks ago because my opinion is still the same.
"Looking back at the WWE history of Big Show, it seems that all of his World Championship victories have occurred in the second-half of the year and none of his title reigns have lasted until the second week of the following year. I don't see any reason for that trend to stop this year. Alberto Del Rio is potentially a superstar the company can feature as a true main event talent for several years. However, in order for him to be perceived as a legitimate main event star, he will need some impressive title defenses on his resume. I'm picking him to get one here."Predicted Winner: Alberto Del Rio
Elimination Chamber Match: Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Chris Jericho vs. Mark Henry vs. Kane vs. Jack Swagger - The winner of this match will be getting a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania XIX. As I previously stated, Alberto Del Rio will need some pretty impressive title defenses on his resume to be perceived as a legitimate main event star. A victory over Randy Orton at the biggest show of the year will do that. As a babyface, Randy Orton's act is getting stale. He is naturally geared towards being a great heel and it seems that he has been stuck in a never-ending feud with Wade Barrett every few months as WWE can't decide what to do with him. Predicted Winners: Randy Orton
John Cena, Sheamus & Ryback vs. The Shield (Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns & Dean Ambrose) - By virtue of winning The Royal Rumble Match three weeks ago, John Cena will be the challenger for the WWE Championship at WrestleMania XXIX. I'm picking John to get the win for his team here as he builds up some more momentum on The Road to WrestleMania. Predicted Winners: John Cena, Sheamus & Ryback
WWE Championship: Champion The Rock vs. CM Punk - On Monday night, it was announced that The Rock will lose the title if he is counted out or disqualified. I see a very similar ending to the match that happened between the two men three weeks ago. When it looks like The Rock will win, the lights will go out and when they go back on, The Rock will seen on top of a smashed table. Only this time, Vince McMahon won't be able to come out to restart the match because he was recently injured by the man that put The Rock through the table this time, Brock Lesnar. Predicted Winner: CM Punk
Predicted WrestleMania XXIX Card
- Brock Lesnar vs. The Rock - A few weeks ago, WWE Magazine had Rock vs. Brock as the rematch they'd most like to see. Today, WWE.com featured their match from 2002 as their Five-Star Match of the Week. Click here to see that match and 19 other Five-Star Matches of the Week in their entirety.
- WWE Champion CM Punk vs. John Cena - This feud appeared to be drawing to a conclusion at Hell in a Cell but an injury forced Cena to drop out of that match. After the series of great matches these two men have had against one another, it only makes sense for their feud to culminate at this event.
- World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio vs. Randy Orton - I explained my thought process on this one earlier.
- Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho - Fozzy begins a month-long tour of Europe a few days after this show which means that Jericho had to return for something special. What is more special than fighting Undertaker at this event? On the road to 20-0, three of Undertaker's last four matches in the streak wound up winning my Match of the Year.
- Big Show vs. Ryback - Ryback is always chanting "Feed Me More" and if he were a cannibal there would be no bigger meal for him to eat than Big Show. Just as John Cena giving Big Show an Attitude Adjustment at WrestleMania XX began his journey to the top of the card, if Ryback can pull off a Shell Shock he would have an incredible WrestleMania moment that will spur him onto much greater things.
- Mark Henry vs. Sheamus - I see something happening between these two during the Elimination Chamber Match which will result in this match taking place.
- Anger Management Match Featuring Charlie Sheen as Special Guest Referee: Kane vs. Daniel Bryan - It sure seemed like Charlie Sheen was going to get involved at SummerSlam but reportedly his price was too high for that event. The budget for WrestleMania is bigger and WWE loves to get celebrities involved in their biggest show of the year to get some mainstream media attention.
- US Champion The Miz vs. Jack Swagger - After Zeb Coulter's speech on Monday night, it only makes sense for Swagger to go after a title with the name United States in it. I can see Swagger targeting guys like Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara and Yoshi Tatsu on the road to this title shot. I also think that speech planted the seeds for a future match against Alberto Del Rio.
- World Tag Team Champions Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow vs. R-Truth & Kofi Kingston - The singles scene is a little crowded right now and these four men seem as though they will be stuck in the tag team scene for the near-future. I'm picking this for the match that is a part of the pre-show.
- 10-man Tag Team Match: Team Booker T (Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, Evan Bourne, Bo Dallas and Brodus Clay) vs. Team Vickie Guerrero (Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, and The Shield) - With Vince McMahon out of commission and the brand split being virtually nonexistent, I'm sure Booker T and Vickie Guerrero will step on each others toes a few times in the next few weeks. Just like last year when Team Johnny took on Team Teddy, I see the title of GM for both shows on the line here. I picked the 10-men in this match based upon being the biggest stars with nothing else to do on the show. The big surprise in my pick is that I have Dolph on Team Vickie. The onl reason he would help Vickie is if she would do something in return for him. That something would be Vickie allowing him to cash in his briefcase for a title match of his choosing. Under that scenario, a win here could possibly lead to Dolph cashing in his title shot against John Cena later on in the show.
Photo of World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio: Steve Haas/Getty Images