1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Eric Cohen

Royal Rumble 2013 PPV Predictions

By January 23, 2013

The Road to WrestleMania XXIX stops in Phoenix on Sunday night as the WWE presents Royal Rumble 2013. The winner of the Royal Rumble Match will earn the right to fight for either the World Heavyweight Championship or the WWE Championship at the biggest show of the year. In addition to the annual Royal Rumble Match, WWE Champion CM Punk will be defending the WWE Championship against The Rock. It has been over a decade since The Rock has held that title.

United State Championship: Champion Antonio Cesaro vs. The Miz - This match will be taking place during the pre-show for the event which will be streamed on WWE.com starting at 7:30 PM EST. I think that there are two factors working against the champion in this match. One is that a wrestler with a similar gimmick (evil foreign guy from Europe) is holding the Intercontinental Championship. The other is that between now and WrestleMania XXIX, WWE Studios will be releasing The Marine 3 which The Miz will be starring in. As the company will be promoting both of these ventures over the next few weeks, it just makes more sense for The Miz to be doing the media rounds while in physical possession of a championship belt which features the stars and stripes on it. Predicted Winner: The Miz

WWE Tag Team Championship: Champions Team Hell No (Kane & Daniel Bryan) vs. Team Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes & Damien Sandow) - I have to admit that it has been fun watching Team Hell No as the champions over the past few months. However, I think the team has gone as far as they can with their current gimmick. Since they have now officially graduated from Anger Management, the next step in their psychological saga is seeing how they handle the adversity of losing the titles. Will they decide to stick together to regain the titles? Will they regress in their behavior and cause Dr. Shelby's work to go to waste? I look forward to the answers to theses questions but for that to happen they will have to lose the titles. Predicted Winners: Team Rhodes Scholars

Last Man Standing Match for the World Heavyweight Championship: Champion Alberto Del Rio vs. Big Show - Looking back at the WWE history of Big Show, it seems that all of his World Championship victories have occurred in the second-half of the year and none of his title reigns have lasted until the second week of the following year. I don't see any reason for that trend to stop this year. Alberto Del Rio is potentially a superstar the company can feature as a true main event talent for several years. However, in order for him to be perceived as a legitimate main event star, he will need some impressive title defenses on his resume. I'm picking him to get one here. Predicted Winner: Alberto Del Rio

The Royal Rumble Match - While The Royal Rumble Match is usually the final match of the evening, there have been a few cases where it didn't. I think this will be one of those rare occasions. As far as the Rumble goes, the winner is typically either a true main event star or someone that is really close to being perceived as a main eventer but just in need of a little boost. The last two years, it has been won by the latter and their going on to fight for a title in the opening match of WrestleMania both years has slightly damaged the prestige of this match. Because of that, I'm picking a legitimate main event star to get the win here. My pick for that star is going to be John Cena. Following this match, cameras can follow him to see if he is rooting for either Punk or Rock get the win. Regardless of who eventually enters WrestleMania as WWE Champion, Cena has enough of an issue with both men for it to be a main event worthy of WrestleMania. Predicted Winner: John Cena

WWE Championship: Champion CM Punk vs. The Rock - I see Punk calling in all of his reinforcements for this match. But despite the best efforts of Vickie Guerrero, Paul Heyman, and Brad Maddox, the longest title reign of the past 25 years will be coming to an end. That will immediately lead to the speculation that we will be seeing a rematch of last year's WrestleMania main event of The Rock vs. John Cena. I don't think that will be the case. I'm picking Punk to win the rematch at Elimination Chamber due to the interference of Brock Lesnar. That sets up WrestleMania XXIX to feature Brock vs. Rock and WWE Champion CM Punk vs. John Cena. I can't think of two bigger matches to headline this year's Showcase of the Immortals. Predicted Winner: The Rock

Photo of WWE Champion CM Punk: Jason Merritt/Getty Images

Comments

January 24, 2013 at 5:00 am
(1) Zachary says:

No Way Out is now called The Elimination Chamber and has been called this for a few years now. The Shield has been banned from ringside by Vince McMahon and CM Punk will be stripped if they show up. CM Punk vs The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar vs Triple H and The Rock vs John Cena 2 are all rumored to be happening at WrestleMania.

January 24, 2013 at 2:05 pm
(2) prowrestling says:

Hi Zachary,

Nice catch on the NWO & Shield. I mistakenly typed them instead of Vickie Guerrero & Elimination Chamber. I’m also aware of the Brad Maddox situation that will be taking place on Friday night (don’t want to spoil it) but still believe he will be at the show on Sunday night.

As far as the rumored matches go, those are just rumors and I’m not buying into them. Cena/Rock 2 won’t do as much money as the first one and won’t be as easy to promote again (Twice in a Lifetime doesn’t have that special ring to it). Also, that card means we would be having repeats of both the SummerSlam & WrestleMania main events and I don’t see fans being nearly as excited about Brock/HHH II after seeing their first match over the Summer. In regards to CM Punk/Undertaker, that is not a match I’d personally be looking forward to. I remember their matches from a few years ago and let’s be honest, their HIAC match was probably Undertaker’s worst one since his HIAC against Big Bossman.

Here is an interesting fact from WWE Magazine that makes me think I’m guessing correctly. In their latest issue they list the rematches they want to see the most. #1 is Rock vs. Brock.

Eric

January 25, 2013 at 3:29 am
(3) Gav Newcastle says:

Rock will walk into mania as champ there’s I’d no way he’ll drop the title at the chamber it’s pointless Rock having the title going into mania is a bigger draw,and Lesnar v triple h is a lock,the shield is banned and Maddox is injured as per storyline from SD,nobody wants to see Cena win the rumble or the title from Rocky me included,he’s not popular and the crowd will firmly be behind Rock again

January 25, 2013 at 4:51 am
(4) Zachary says:

I want to see The Undertaker vs Dolph Ziggler, Brock Lesnar vs The Rock, John Cena vs CM Punk for the WWE Title, IC Champ Wade Barrett vs US Champ The Miz, Ryback vs The Big Show, Sheamus vs Randy Orton and Alberto Del Rio vs Daniel Bryan vs Kane for the World Title.

January 25, 2013 at 4:01 pm
(5) Wrestling Boy says:

If Team Hell No looses at the Royal Rumble, I can see them facing each other at Wrestlemania. Also, I believe that The Rock is going to be in a movie, so I can see CM Punk retaining due to The Shield. As for ‘The Streak’ I can see Taker facing the World Heavyweight Champion in a fatal 4 way match along with Sheamus, Big Show, & Del Rio. However, the reign of CM Punk will probably END on the Road To Wrestlemaia.

January 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(6) Jay says:

Two facts that back your predictions: Local New Orleans TV is advertising the Rock as being at the Elimination Chamber PPV which takes place here. Also, as far as Rock and Brock go, the one and only time they met, brock won clean. History generally shows balanced scales.

January 26, 2013 at 1:03 am
(7) sunin says:

I am taking my son to RAW on monday in Las Vegas. They are advertising CM Punk as WWE Champ and Big Show as World Heavyweight Champ.

January 26, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(8) prowrestling says:

The current champion is always advertised as holding the title for a future show. However, there is always a caveat posted in the advertisement that goes along the lines of “Card is subject to change” just in case the champion loses the belt before the show.

By the way, have a great time on Monday night. The RAW Roulette themed shows are usually pretty entertaining.

January 27, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(9) ronin says:

Eric, long time no chat. One quick point; I think tonight’s the night Cena turns. Perhaps still bad blood from last Wrestlemania and the fact that he feels he’s be shut out of WWE title picture will lead to him Beating down the shield, but then put one on the Rock to stun the crowd and end the night. Predicted winner; CM Punk.