1. Sports
Eric Cohen

WWE Releases Mickie James and Five Other Superstars

By April 22, 2010

Just a few days before the annual WWE Draft, the WWE began shaking up their roster by announcing the releases of six WWE Superstars today. The wrestlers released were Mickie James, Shelton Benjamin, Katie Lea, Kung Fu Naki, Slam Master J, and Jimmy Wang Yang.

The biggest and most surprising name on this list is Mickie James. She is currently involved in a feud with WWE Women's Champion Michelle McCool. While it is a surprise, I am not totally shocked by this. A few months ago, Maria was released shortly before the release of her CD. With Mickie's CD set to be released soon, it appears that history is repeating itself.

As far as the men go, Shelton is the only name on this list that wrestled on PPV at WrestleMania XXVI. It is a shame that with his natural abilities in the ring that he never was able to break out of the mid-card role he always seemed to be in. Seeing what TNA has done with former WWE stars Matt Morgan and D'Angelo Dinero, I am looking forward to seeing what they could do with him if he ends up there.

I am not surprised to see that the other four wrestlers on this list have been released. In all honesty, I though a few of them were already out of the WWE. The only thing I am surprised about is the timing of the releases. I would have guessed that some of them might have been picked in the supplemental draft and then released a few days later.

Update 1: 4/22/10 11:30 PM ET
Add Mike Knox to the list of Superstars released today. His release drives the number of releases up to seven. With the exception of Katie Lea, everyone released today was a member of the SmackDown roster.

Photo of Mickie James by Lance Cpl. Tommy Bellegarde

Comments

April 23, 2010 at 9:41 am
(1) bigdave2858 says:

Mickie being released is a load of crap. She was one of the only divas left that was sexy and knew how to wrestle. Good Luck to you Mickie. I hope your album is a big success. And by the way Eric thanks for your response. There is one thing I disagree with though. I think if TNA keeps things like their WWE is going down. And if they get rid of more guys like Shelton then it’s going to happen soon. And Yang would be great in the X division.

April 23, 2010 at 1:25 pm
(2) Brandy says:

Vince wants girls as eye candy with no talent. Talent dooms girls with Vince. I cannot buy Michelle as a wrestler. Mickie actually had talent. One of the last greats. My fingers are crossed for Beth and Natalia.

April 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm
(3) Shirley McKenna says:

What is wrong with the head honchos at the WWE? First Maria,and now Mickie,are they scared that with these 2 divas having a singing career as well as being wrestlers,that they will get many fans. I think that the wwe people are just plain foolish. Well this is just my opinion. Sorry about all my spelling mistakes,and i know that there are a few.

April 23, 2010 at 8:05 pm
(4) Jim Bristow says:

You know it`s a shame that Vince uses these people to get richer.He parades these young ladies around like their show horses,I was on line and i found out since 1985 their have been over 113 wrestlers that have passed away under the age of 65.Alot of them worked for Vince and his family,if you go online ***EDIT http://prowrestling.about.com/od/whatsrealwhatsfake/a/wrestlersdeaths.htm EDIT *** you can see them for yourself.He charges to much for his tickets,and i i can say he probably doesn`t help the familes of those whom have passed away still working for him.Roddy Piper was fired for telling the truth about Vince,now these 7 or 8 young people are out of a job because of him.

April 24, 2010 at 10:20 am
(5) Eric Cohen says:

Jim,

You do realize that the list you found online was actually written by me and can be found on this site. Here is the link:

Thanks,
Eric

April 24, 2010 at 10:57 pm
(6) thephenn says:

All the releases are sad news. But that’s the biz. I really do wish the best for Shelton. thephenn

April 25, 2010 at 11:54 am
(7) amethystkrystal says:

I think it is down right sad that Vince & Company released Mickie James. I will only be pleased if I find out that it is something that Mickie wanted. I don’t think it has anything to do with her releasing a CD. Look at John Cena & Jericho, both have their own CD’s out. Fozzy has even been played on WWE. I think it’s more because Vince wants size 0 “women” to compete on WWE. That’s a shame, especially since he has Stephanie and, now, 2 young granddaughters of his own. What kind of message is he sending to them???? I still will watch WWE, but I will do something else while the “Diva’s” are wrestling…..
Thank you, Eric, for always keeping us informed and not being a “spoiler” at the same time.

April 25, 2010 at 3:00 pm
(8) rio jimenez says:

I feel bad for katie lea because she was horribly over looked! she became the undisputed OVW Womens champ beating out Beth Phoenix in a ladder match.Eve torres as the divas champion,thats a joke.i miss Womens wrestling from 1999 to 2004,now those were matches!You will be missed Katie Lea(wait why did WWE go through the trouble of obtaining Chibi Vampire’s new single for Katie Lea’s titantron if they were just gonna release her)

April 25, 2010 at 11:19 pm
(9) juan pagan says:

i think wwe is gion to lose fans if they keep realeasing wrestlers like this especially the popular ones how they gonna release micki james and shelton benjamin this is crazy why they don.t release eve she can.t wrestle at all micki james hd talent one of the only divas i liked to watch and shelton benjamin they could have gave him a push i guess he and charlie hass can resurect boyh carreers at tna as the greatest tagteam .

April 26, 2010 at 12:57 am
(10) bambeyette says:

i read you all the time. love the way you “tell it like it is” !! what is wrong with wwe ??? mickie; maria; katie lea; shelton; & my favorite-jimmy wang yang-all gone. if their smart, they’ll head straight over to TNA, & NEVER, EVER return to the WWE !!!!! they’re being totally FOOLISH !!! and yes, ticket prices are OUTRAGIOUS !!! $100.00-$200.00 a ticket for the “nose bleed section”. what a crock !!! he has NEVER, EVER helped any of the wrestlers, & he(WWE) is ALWAYS the LAST ONE to give condolances. maybe he’ll be eaten by a tornado-soon i hope !!!! thank you

April 27, 2010 at 11:49 pm
(11) Kevin says:

Mike Knox was a monster in the WWECW, then went to Smackdown. Shelton Benjamin didn’t even receive not one world title shot in the WWE. He and Jimmy Wang Yang would be awesome in TNA, if they both choose to go there. Mickie James, WTF, are you kidding me !? That is one thing with Vince, he always releases the ones who actually have wrestling experience and keeps the ones who are only good for eye candy (see Chris Masters, Great Khali, the Divas). That’s what happened to Victoria (I mean, Tara, in TNA). She was underused and made into a joke (I remember she wrestled in a banana suit). Very unappreciated by the WWE. Very talented female wrestler Katie Lea (Burchill) can join her “brother” Paul under the ‘future endeavors’ list. Maybe they can be extras in the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie with Johnny Depp (Jack Sparrow). I thought Kung Fu Naki was gone years ago – he lasted a long time on Smackdown, first as a ring announcer – INDEED. They released Slam Master J because the WWE already had one white rapper wanna be on RAW, John Cena (Word Life, the Doctor of Thuganomics). The 1990′s called. Vanilla Ice wants his gimmick back. Slim Shady J is gone from the “E.”

His former partner, Festus, is now a member of CM Punk’s Straight Edge Society, as Luke Gallows along with Jersey Shore wanna be Darren Young (think DJ Pauly D or the Situation) and a great wrestler in the feisty and busty Serena Deeb ! At least, Gallows doesn’t turn into a raging lunatic everytime he hears the ring bell.

Jimmy Wang Yang was an awesome wrestler, esp. when he was paired up with the TNA X Division star, the “Prince of Punk” Shannon Moore. Moore used to be an M’Fer (Matt Follower), but joined Jeff, the Charismatic Enigma, in TNA’s own version of Team Extreme. That didn’t make sense… But they were a group of guys who know each other so well, back in the (Omega) days I guess.

Natalya Neidhart and the Hart Dynasty kicks butt !!!! Yeah ! Go Harts as tag team champs !!!

April 29, 2010 at 12:22 am
(12) tex says:

hey, it’s a tough, cold hearted business,also a cutthroat business, you don’t do as the promoter says your gone. they can make you, and they can break you. it’s your decision.

May 14, 2010 at 5:51 pm
(13) ashley says:

why would they release mickie she was the best if they release beth pheonix then i will juts stop watching the divas division on smackdown there’s just no point anymore no offense but kelly and tiffany aren’t wrestlers that get me on the edge of my seat
michelle and layla and vickie annoy the crap out of me
and they dont even give the divas good matches
and what the heck is with wwe going pg this is wrestling not a freakin soap opera

June 18, 2010 at 3:19 am
(14) Bob lawless says:

Sacking micky James has made my mind up I normaly go to at least 4 wwe shows in the uk each year but will no longer be going it’s not about wrestling only good looking women who are only eye candy who can’t wrestle good bye wwe

June 29, 2010 at 2:10 am
(15) vinceisdumb2010 says:

Jimmy wang yang is awesome and i hope he shelton benjamin and micki james go to tna and im done watching corny ass wwe.. Vince mcmahon has lost his mind he may have brain damage i dont know.

July 24, 2010 at 7:49 pm
(16) Daniel Bryan says:

All Mickie James fans who want her back in WWE, please sign this petition:

And call WWE at 203-352-8600 and tell them you want Mickie back.

Here’s something else you can do. Go to this site and leave a comment about Mickie’s release.

July 24, 2010 at 7:50 pm
(17) Joe says:

Please Mickie James come back to WWE!!!1

July 24, 2010 at 11:27 pm
(18) Lailene says:

Them letting go those superstars was one of the stupidest thing mcmahon has ever done. Mickie James shocked me the most. She was a crowd pleaser and a favorite wrestler to many. This is why people arent that interested in WWE anymore and because Jeff Hardy a.k.a. The Extreme Charismatic Enigma isn’t there to keep them hype. I hope McMahon like loosing money even more than before.

August 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm
(19) Ryan says:

Mickie please come back to WWE! We want you back!
Please don’t go to TNA! We NEED you! Please return to WWE!!!!!

August 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm
(20) Marcus says:

Mickie is probably gonna return to WWE. I personally think people who think she should go to TNA are nuts. TNA has become a place for old wrestlers, WWE rejects, and wannabies. And they’d probably rip off the Piggy James storyline using The Beautiful People. Mickie really needs to come back to WWE. Most of her fans want her back.

September 13, 2010 at 11:58 pm
(21) s_lee says:

Hey, she was one of the best to watch. She has got talent. However if I was her boyfriend I would be very happy because anyone lucky to spend time with her would be in heaven. She is so hot, sweet and tough. Where do you find anyone like that.

September 17, 2010 at 2:16 pm
(22) Sharon Henderson says:

I hate that Micky james is gone, what the heck are they thinking. I have watched wrestling since I was a small girl.Went to the sportitorium in Dallas evey week to watch the Von Erich’s and Wahoo McDaniel, and all the great ones, I never missed it on Saturday nights on Tv. Its sad they get great wrestlers and then let them go if they are doing a great job and keep the idiots there. I am sorry but Vince needs to get back to the real wrestlers not stupid jerks on therood old time.Please get back to the orginal wrestling the good old PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING…

December 14, 2010 at 7:52 pm
(23) Julie says:

To start off im glad John Cena is back on WWE!! He is one of crowds most favorites. Watching the divas wrestle is interesting, to see what they can do.. But its pointless to watch it without Mickie James!! Another crowds most favorite.. When i get a chance to watch wwe, the divas get my attention. I have an idea for Mickie, get your album out, get your fans to come to your concerts an importantly show wwe what they are missing!! I mean the divas are suppose to be chicks not chicks that look like guys (The Amazon).. Mickie James needs to come back on wwe an give us a real show to watch an not some ditzie, screaming, manly chicks wrestle!

January 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm
(24) rebekah spurlock says:

I think what everybody wrote is true jerks who let Mickie James go r dumb idiots mikie james rules but the people who let her go r stupid mikie james is better than drew,john cena,kellykelly,trent.dashing cody roads,big show,ray-mestrio,matt hardy,undertaker,kane,and all the other wrestlers but mikie james rules she needs to come back to WWE!

April 22, 2011 at 9:03 pm
(25) Carla says:

This outrages me! I do not like not one diva except Mickey James the WWE makes these skinny little girls looking like hoes come out and wrestle. WWE should think about the example they just set!

July 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm
(26) Ken says:

Well i think mickie is coming back just like allicia foxx and gail kim did. I think shes gonaa come beating down her rivals (Flawless b’s who cant fight) I agree with lots if Beth And melina and maybe kelly leave heck ima be watchin mickie on tma with victoria. Face it the wwe’s is turning “kid rated” heck my kids Watch this all the time back in around 1999-2004 i Hate it kids HAve heard cussing and such!!! First candice then maria heck y was she realeased!!!! This is ridiculas!!! Vince is a no show who dont care about them like someone said (he fired someone for tellin the truth) Heck ima go on the site to inspect it all i havnt watch wresling since may cause of mickey LEAVING there losing fans ill tell ya sorry for long “statement” But its TRUE!! also for mispell but if the diva’s catorgory is going down u know the superstars will too.

September 7, 2011 at 4:18 am
(27) azza says:

there is cussing on most things on tv but to be fair wwe do block it out and wrestlers come and go just the way it is

September 7, 2011 at 4:27 am
(28) gamst says:

to be honest wud any of u men watch the diva’s if they was all ugly the fact is that is know u wudnt

September 7, 2011 at 4:32 am
(29) azza says:

so no1 likes off the top of my head kelly kelly eve torres ?

September 7, 2011 at 4:39 am
(30) twinkle says:

mickie james makes the tna diva’s look better in my opinion and ppl saying that vince make’s the diva’s look like hoe’s tha do it with the beautiful ppl

June 19, 2013 at 11:29 pm
(31) Wwe fan MB… Virginia says:

Vince made a huge mistake by releasing Mickie James Mickie had talent like the others that got release too atleast release someone in the wwe that doesn’t have talent people want talent and entertainment but having no talent sucks but it’s Vince’s business and we can’t do anything about but hey at least she still wrestles and lives at tna and singing and doing what she loves good luck Mickie for the best of the best divas ever

December 20, 2013 at 8:53 pm
(32) Chris says:

Micky James and Maria were the two sexiest women on the WWE with any class.the rest are low class sell outs . Bring the classy ones back