1. Sports
Eric Cohen

WrestleMania XXV Prediction: Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels

By April 1, 2009

The match I am most looking forward to seeing on Sunday night is the battle between the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels. The Undertaker brings a 16-0 record at WrestleMania into this event while Shawn has the nickname of Mr. WrestleMania due to the many great matches he has put on at this event. Shawn brings a streak of his own into this match. For the past five years, his match at WrestleMania has won the Pro Wrestling Illustrated Match of the Year Award.

The last time these men feuded
Although it didn't last long, one of the greatest feuds in WWE history was between these two men back in 1997 and 1998. The troubles between them started when Shawn accidentally cost the Undertaker the WWE Championship at SummerSlam '97 when he accidentally hit the Undertaker with a chair that was meant for Bret Hart. Their match at In Your House: Ground Zero ended in a no-contest. In order to make sure that their next match ended conclusively, the WWE created the Hell in a Cell match.

That match is one of the best matches the WWE put on in the '90s. Not only did this match put the popular Hell in a Cell Match on the map, it also featured the debut of Kane, and Shawn Michael's win led him to fight Bret Hart at the Survivor Series in what has been referred to as "The Montreal Screwjob".

The final match of this trilogy doesn't lack for history either. In a casket match at Royal Rumble '98, Shawn Michaels won the battle but lost the war. During the match, his back hit into the casket in such a way that he suffered an injury that would lead to him being unable to wrestle for over four years.

How will losses impact their future at WrestleMania
If Undertaker loses, the streak will be over. With that, so will a huge part of his mystique and a huge selling point of future WrestleMania events. A loss by Shawn will mean nothing. While he puts on great matches at this event, he only has a 6-9 record at the show. His WrestleMania legacy is built on having great matches, not outcomes that are in his favor. The readers of Pro Wrestling Illustrated have named his losing matches at 5 different WrestleMania events as the match of the year. For those curious, the five losses were to Razor Ramon, Diesel, the triple-threat match against Triple H and Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, and John Cena.

And the winner will be...
The Undertaker. A loss at WrestleMania will have no impact to the career of Shawn Michaels. However, a loss by the Undertaker here can hurt the wallet of Vince McMahon. There is still a huge potential match for an undefeated Undertaker to place his streak on the line in. A battle between an undefeated Undertaker and John Cena at WrestleMania has the potential to set some box office and PPV records for the WWE.

Photo of the Undertaker is 2009 World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Undertaker can be seen every Friday Night on the MyNetwork TV program Friday Nigh SmackDown.

Comments

April 1, 2009 at 7:39 am
(1) Rider says:

Prediction? It’s Good for You to give a Predictions About WrestleMania But You Should to think about those Things very well. Shawn michaels always won The Undertaker And The UnderTaker Never Beat Shawn Michaels. They battled each other inside a Hell in a Cell at Bad Blood 1997 as it was the First Hell in a Cell Match And he beat him two more Times, At In Your House: Ground Zero And At Royal Rumble 1998 But You Right that Shawn was injured in that match. Shawn Back in 2002 to fight with Triple H. UnderTaker And HBK fought in the end of the Royal Rumble 2007 Match when Taker Beat HBK! So I Think Undertaker will complete his 17-0 at Mania and Mr. WrestleMania will lose to the “Phenom”.

April 1, 2009 at 10:06 am
(2) bigdave2858 says:

I think you’re right about the prediction Eric but what I want to know is do you think that WM25 will be the end of the Taker and HBK rivalry or will it continue. Also I heard that this Friday is the last time Tazz is going to be announcing. Is he going to be at ‘Mania, or is someone taking his spot?

April 1, 2009 at 10:11 am
(3) bigdave2858 says:

Whoa!! I just went to wwe.com and they’re posting that Vickie is pregnant. Eric, don’t you think WWE is going a little too far, or is it actually (though highly unlikely) true.

April 1, 2009 at 3:35 pm
(4) Eric says:

Big Dave,

Unless one of them changes brands in the draft, which is highly unlikely, I think this match is a one time deal.

As far as Taz goes, PWInsider reported that his contract expired but he reportedly offered to stay on for WM. I don’t know what they will do for the announcing assignments because most of the matches at WM are mixed-branded. The only SD vs. SD match on the show is Hardy vs Hardy

The Vickie pregnancy thing was revealed to be an April Fool’s Day joke played by John Cena.

There is another good April Fool’s Day joke going on where someone created a fake Undertaker 17-0 shirt and reported that it was leaked on wwe.com. Most of the Newz sites originally proclaimed it to be a real shirt but then had to retract it because the shirt was a fake.

Eric

April 2, 2009 at 9:43 am
(5) bigdave2858 says:

Thanks, for the answers Eric. As far as your predictions for the title matches I think you’re right about the WWE title match, but your wrong about the World Heavyweight Title match, because as much as I hate going against Cena (who I think should be the winner) Edge is going to walk out of there as the champ, because you saw what he did at No Way Out when he got in a match he wasn’t supposed to there is no telling what he’ll do at this match. And I know you’re probably tired of me asking you questions, but I’ve got two questions. 1. I was reading the prediction of the IC title match and saw that JBL created an energy drink. Whats it called? and 2. I know I talk about Batista alot but I just want to know have you heard any updates for his return?

April 2, 2009 at 9:55 am
(6) Eric Cohen says:

Big Dave,

1 – Layfield’s Energy Plus. Here is the official website: http://www.layfieldenergy.com

2 – If the leaked script I wrote about last month is accurate, then Batista is scheduled to return in May.

Eric

April 3, 2009 at 8:30 pm
(7) Taasi says:

Hey BigDave,

Just thought u might like to know, Batista is appearing on the program Wide World of Sports down here in Australia tomorrow. He was on it last year, and he lifted the stage manager :)

April 6, 2009 at 10:06 am
(8) bigdave2858 says:

Thanks, Taasi. I’ll be sure to check that out if I can.