1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Eric Cohen

Jeff Hardy Suspended 60 Days

By March 11, 2008

WWE.com announced that Jeff Hardy has been suspended 60 days for failing the Wellness Policy for a second time. As a result, Jeff lost the Intercontinental Championship last night to Chris Jericho and will be taken out of the Money in the Bank Ladder Match at WrestleMania XXIV. If Jeff fails one more test, he will be fired from the WWE. Since the Wellness Policy has been instituted, only Chris Masters has failed twice and he was released from his contract before being given the opportunity to fail the test for a third time.

Jeff and the WWE departed ways in 2003 when Jeff refused to go to drug rehab. Jeff returned to the company in 2006.

Jeff was suspended for thirty days last summer. Just like then, he was Intercontinental Champion at the time and dropped the belt to Umaga prior to leaving. Ironically, he regained the title when Umaga was forced to serve a 30 day suspension due to his suspension for being a part of the Signature Pharmacy scandal. For those keeping score, that now makes three straight Intercontinental Championship title changes that have happened due to drug reasons.

Photo: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

Comments

March 12, 2008 at 2:29 am
(1) cuin06 says:

Hardy will live to fight another day.

March 12, 2008 at 11:31 am
(2) Rashad says:

WHAT AN IDIOT!!! He was getting the biggest push since John Cena. He was probably the most popular wrestler right now. What an idiot. I am no longer a fan of Hardy.

March 12, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(3) Jason says:

I agree with Rashad. Aside from it obviously being bad for him personally, this is a huge blow professionally. He’d finally seemed to gained WWE’s trust and they returned the favour with the biggest push he’s ever seen. I’m sure he’d have won the Money in the Bank match and then won the WWE title sometime this year if not for this. And all after doing lots of interviews talking about how he doesn’t have a problem and that he’s clean. Maybe when he comes back he can start tagging with Ken Kennedy.

March 12, 2008 at 5:36 pm
(4) -konny- says:

I hope the push he was getting doesn’t stop only because he has been suspended. They will give him another chance if they are a clever company (and I hope they are).
Hardy has to become a mainevent wrestler and I think he will become one this year.
I am very sad about his suspension and the fact that he will not be part of Wrestlemania XXIV but I am looking forward to his comeback.

March 12, 2008 at 6:19 pm
(5) Gj says:

You now what me to i hate druggers he can go back to tna for all i care he can go from the wwe I WAS a Jeff hardy fan but now i cannot say that anymore

March 13, 2008 at 3:56 pm
(6) david says:

what a fool.
Jeff was becoming an icon especially with his storyline with randy orton and the swanton from 40 feet i think it was.
His brother who has been fighting illness will be very disapointed in him, at least jeff was getting that push unlike matt who actually does deserve a push as he is very popular on smackdown.
Jeff should now start back from the bottom.
Vince give him a huge break and he blew it, all because he was using PED’s
BUT SAYING THAT…
Everyone know Vince has taken steroids
***EDIT***
One rule for one and another rule for another it looks like to me.
Whats the News on Matt Hardy anyway i thought he was coming back for a Wrestlemania Title shot with MVP.
Does anyone know if that is going to happen cause there cutting it fine with Wrestlemania being only less than 3 weeks away.

March 13, 2008 at 4:33 pm
(7) prowrestling says:

Hi David,

Sorry but I had to edit your comments because I don’t want to get sued.

As far as the point you were making, Jeff’s suspension is not necessarily related to Performance Enhancing Drugs. The Wellness Policy checks for more than steroids. Jeff has a history of drug abuse that isn’t related to PEDs.

As far as a Matt Hardy-MVP match at WM 24 for the US Title goes, that won’t be happening because MVP is in the money in the bank match.

March 13, 2008 at 4:45 pm
(8) cuin06 says:

May be Matt is going to be a surprise participant on MITB.

March 14, 2008 at 7:41 pm
(9) Lisa says:

Darn It! I hate that about Jeff…..He was awesome like my superstar “Shawn Michaels”….Well….almost! HaHa….My son is a big fan of Jeffs and this will not change his mind of him….everyone makes mistakes …..We all hope Jeff overcomes this and comes back stronger than ever!

We love ya, Jeff

Lisa

March 17, 2008 at 12:58 pm
(10) GJ says:

Ok I cant lie im a Hardy fan but please can any body tel him im sorry about his House his so unlucky;((did not do it)

April 4, 2008 at 12:03 am
(11) Sheri says:

I am very concerned about Jeff and his addictions. With the career choice he has made as far as the pressure on your body and time, I am sure it is a VERY hard to shake ADDICTION! I am and always will be a TRUE Jeff Hardy FAN! I love his enthuisiasm for wrestling, life and most of all his FANS. It is very easy for some to set back and cast judgement on someone you don’t know or their circumstances.
Rock On JEFF!!!!
#1 TRUE FAN!!!

December 21, 2008 at 8:33 pm
(12) Simone says:

Hi Sheri,

I agree with you I have alot of pain with my back and neck due to surgery and I had two of them. I also am on Pain medications it is easy to tell someone to stop taking meds or whatever it may be, unless your in that situation. Oh by the way I just became a Jeff hardy fan.

March 2, 2009 at 10:04 am