What I Said Then: This is one of the worst SummerSlam events in the illustrious history of the show. If you missed this show and were thinking about ordering the replay, I would discourage you from doing so.
Has My Opinion Changed? Slightly. Watched in DVD format, the show is better because you can watch it at your leisure. With the exception of the Batista vs. Khali match, which is entertaining in a car-crash sort of way, nothing on the show is offensive. However, it isn’t an exciting enough show to dedicate three straight hours to.
Overall Recommendation: Rent. While I didn’t recommend the $40 replay of the show, the DVD is only half that price and the show seems twice as good on DVD. Additionally, the bonus feature of Vince on Carlito’s Cabana is really funny and when added to his Mae Young sketch on the main program, there is a great element of humor on this DVD. I would actually wait for this DVD to be released as part of an inevitable SummerSlam box set. If you would like to buy the DVD, click here for the best price.
Matches on the DVD:
- DVD Extra: Vince McMahon & Triple H on Carlito’s Cabana
- DVD Extra: End of Kane vs The Great Khali from 8/17 SmackDown
- Kane vs. Finlay
- Intercontinental Championship: Champion Umaga vs. Carlito vs. Kennedy
- Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero
- Diva Battle Royal
- ECW Championship: Champion John Morrison vs. CM Punk
- Triple H vs. King Booker
- World Heavyweight Championship: Champion The Great Khali vs. Batista
- WWE Championship: Champion John Cena vs. Randy Orton
Photo: © 2007 World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. All Rights Reserved.